Sewing Kits -
All the notions you'll need!
I decided to put together several different types of sewing kits, so you can easily get the sewing notions you need to set up your own sewing studio. If you're not sure what you need, or why, read on.
Beginners Sewing Kit
Not sure what you’ll need to begin your first project? Here’s a box with all the basic notions, designed to get you started the easiest way possible. No need to ask, or search for things you aren’t sure of. (like what’s a seam gauge?)
Contains: All the necessary sewing gadgets you’ll need as a beginning sewer. Each kit has:
• 1 box of straight, 1-3/8” glass head pins (they won’t melt under a hot iron).
• 1 plastic coated tape measure, with both U.S. and metric measurements.
• 1 assortment pack of Bohin (French made) hand sewing needles (sizes 3-9 sharps)
• 1 assortment pack of the best Schmetz sewing machine needles (sizes 10-14)
• 1 seam ripper (to cut threads when you make a mistake)
• 1 seam gauge (a small ruler with a sliding pointer to help you measure precise hems, buttonholes, and seam allowances, etc)
• 1 marking pen, either disappearing or washable, to help you mark dots, darts, and corners.
This is not the sewing kit they give away free in hotels to sew on buttons. These products are what real seamsters use – every time they sew!
Beginners Sewing Kit $19.95
P.S. – You’ll still need to buy a real good pair of scissors for cutting fabric. I don’t include them in the kit, because you need to decide how much you want to spend on a good pair, what size, and what brand. And, you’ll probably want to buy a pair of pinking shears too! Here’s a great article about
how to find a great pair of scissors you can use for years.
Intermediate Kit for Sewers
If you’re past the stage of needing just the basics, and want some more advanced basics, here’s a notion kit to ease your transition:
• 1 bottle fray check – a liquid seam sealer (to prevent seams and stiches from fraying, and used on thread and cord ends to prevent raveling)
• 1 package Stitch Witchery – iron on tape to baste zippers and hems, without thread.
• 1 package fusible interfacing to back collars, buttonholes, and facings (1 yard x 20”)
• 1 package of press cloths to prevent your iron from getting gummed up
• 2 spools of Gutterman thread – so you can use the best! (color will vary).
• 1 Needle Guide ($14.95 if purchased separately), to help you decide what size machine needle to use with your fabric and thread.
Intermediate Sewing Kit $31.99
Advanced Notions for Sewers
Ready to get some specialty items that will serve you well as you explore new projects? Try the supplies in this kit to cut and mark simple quilting projects, apply bias binding, and make pattern adjustments.
• Dritz 18” See-Thru ruler, with 1/8” grid lines. Use to help draw parallel and perpendicular lines, enlarging patterns, circles and scallops. 2” x 18”
• Bohn crayon – Makes marking of match points easy! Used by quilters because it erases easily, with no trace of the mark.
• Fabric eraser – use to erase the Bohn crayon marks
• Bohn Bias tape maker – Make perfectly folded 1/2" bias tape
• Bottle of Dritz Fray check – liquid seam and thread sealer. Prevents fraying.
• Sullivans fabric Rotary cutter – adjustable for cutting hard and thick fabrics, or multi layers of thinner fabric. Helps achieve precise cutting of straight or curved lines. Ergonomic handle, retractable blade. (*for use with a rotary mat, not included)
Advanced Sew Kit $34.95
Professional Pressing Kit
Do you want your sewing to look professional - and even better than ready-to-wear? Here's the secret: press your stitches and your seams every time you sew a seam. This pressing kit will help you achieve those great results every time you sew.
The Pressing Kit contains:
*Package of EZE-View press cloths by June Tailor. Use when pressing or ironing to prevent shine through, prevent glue residues from getting on your iron, and protect fabric. Made from 100% absorbent cotton.
* Package of Iron Clean sheets for removing fusibles and stains from bottom of iron. Regularly cleaning your iron will prevent spots on your fabric. Be honest, have you ever cleaned your iron? Well, now's the time.
* Box of 1-3/8" long glass head pins. These hard to buy pins have colored heads made of glass, so that your hot iron won't melt them. Use to hold seams open, or applique shapes down, then iron right over them. No mess of melting plastic or burned fingertips!
* Kalico Fabrics information sheet on the difference between pressing and ironing, why you need to clean your iron regularly, and how to achieve the professional look in all your sewn garments and gifts.
Press Kit $15.95
Return from Sewing Kits to Home